Cheapflights.com Says Mom and Dad Deserve a Break
Enjoy a Kid-Free Holiday at One of Our Top Getaways for Parents
Boston, MA – August 9, 2011 – Cheapflights.com, the online leader in publishing travel deals, says it’s time for mom and dad to get a break – a holiday break. As the kids are transitioning back into school mode, call in the grandparents and ask them to baby-sit while you and your significant other take a kid-free vacation. Of course you love the kids, but sometimes we all need a break from the little rascals. Book a kid-free holiday at one of Cheapflights.com’s Top Getaways for Parents and enjoy a cocktail, kick back and savor the relaxation – sans children.
Below are five parent getaways worth checking out over the next few months.
- Lunenburg, Nova Scotia - In 1995, the old town of Lunenburg on Canada’s east coast was deemed a UNESCO World Heritage Site because of its survival as a British colonial settlement. This quaint coastal village off Mahone Bay is the perfect place to book a bed-and-breakfast or small cottage and explore the history, do a little kayaking or simply unwind. Let Lunenburg’s small-town charm and the tranquil seaside views win you over. When looking for things to do, visit Bluenose, the world-famous wooden racing schooner, check out the Fisheries Museum and learn about the salty men who navigated the Atlantic, then head over to the Ironworks Distillery for artisan spirit tastings.
- Portofino, Italy - The words “Italian Riviera” are usually enticing enough to dust off the suitcases, and Portofino is considered to be the most beautiful harbor of them all. What was once a quaint fishing village is now a popular boating and yachting destination. The best place to stay is on a boat, and there are plenty of exquisite restaurants and high-end boutiques that line the harbor. If sleeping on dry land is more your style, travel the sea by water taxi to other towns along the Riviera, including Genoa and San Fruttuoso. And, if you haven’t seen enough breathtaking scenery, head up to Castello Brown to check out the beautiful views and stunning gardens.
- Stirling, Scotland - A bit smaller than some of Scotland’s other cities, Stirling is an ideal place for parents who are looking for a quiet getaway. Packed with history, lush rolling hills, charming bed-and-breakfasts, and plenty of outdoor activity, there’s a little something for everyone. Whether you’re a history buff or not, The National Wallace Monument, in honor of William Wallace, is a must see. (That’s for you, Braveheart fans.) Then tour the Stirling Old Town Jail, visit Stirling Castle and check out the Old Bridge. If golfing is on the list, you won’t be disappointed with the abundant greenways that meander through the flawless landscape.
- Valle Nevado, Chile - A day on the ski slopes is a great way for families to bond and for kids to put to use some of that excess energy, but with the hassle of gloves, hats, equipment and the occasional cold-weather whining, a ski trip for two could be just what you need. Since good skiing in summer months is hard to come by, think about heading south to Valle Nevado in Chile, where it’s still winter – if you’ve got a chunk of time to spend. It’s considered the best ski resort in South America, and is comparable to something you might experience in the Alps. Valle Nevado even offers world-famous Heli-skiing and boarding for those needing a bigger rush.
- Lavaux, Switzerland - The vineyard terraces of Lavaux may not be on your travel radar, but they should be. There is evidence to suggest that these terraces were used to grow grapes for wine during the Roman Empire, and they have now been inducted as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Settled along the coast of placid Lake Geneva are a string of small villages connected by the grape vines of the ancient terraces. Travel between the villages by foot, stopping for picnics and wine tastings, and spend the night at bed-and-breakfasts as you go. Or, take the train, which stops in many small towns. If travel within the autumn months is possible, make sure to have the camera handy for some truly stunning fall foliage photographs.
Looking for a warm weather destination for a romantic escape over the cold winter months? Then check out the next five hotspots that round out our top parent getaways including Dubai, UAE; Napa Valley, California; St. Lucia, Antilles; Cozumel, Mexico and Ponte Vedra, Florida.